Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sundays Sock Knit~Along (KAL) starting September 13

Planned by Ann and Anita:

Anita and I (I’m Ann), are planning a sock knit-along. Anita likes the sock called “Rick” in the Sock Innovation book of patterns by Cookie A.

Anita thinks that the Rick stitch pattern would be really darling as a scarf, too. So…, come to Anneke’s beginning on Sunday, September 13th, at 1300 hours (1 pm) and we’ll work some socks, or whatever. Socks make good holiday gifts and I, for one, need to start gifts now.

The Rick pattern calls for fingering weight yarn (Super fine #1), and double point needles, size 1 1/2 U.S. (2.5 mm) or circular needles, if that’s your preference for knitting socks. A light colored, monochromatic yarn would be best if one is new to sock knitting so that it’s easy to see the stitches to pick up on the heel. I also recommend reading The Yarn Harlots explanation for sock theory in Knitting Rules. Socks SEEMED complex to me until I read Stephanie Pearl-McPhee’s explanation of sock components in her book “Knitting Rules.” She has a sock pattern in that book that’s a good one to start with.

Cheers!